Thursday, July 14, 2011

Beautiful Night

Well I'm sitting out here on the water, at 11:00 at night writing this post.  The water is beautiful, and its so peaceful.  Its never quiet here, and right now it couldn't be more quiet or more perfect.  I'm sitting with my new friend Shasha, who is from the Ukraine.  She is really awesome.  Where talking about our life's and she is such an amazing women of God, its so awesome.
This past week God has been showing me so much!  I got to go out to my Grandparents house with the rest of my family last week for 3 days!  It was a great time away from work, and I cherished every min. of it.  So coming back to the island really stunk.  I didn't want to come back at all, and quite honestly it was really hard for me.  I've never been one to be home sick, or miss people.  But I miss so many people, and for the first time in my life I'm homesick.  But I decided I could either be mad at the world, or I could be happy, and in return maybe make other peoples day a little bit brighter.  So thats what I decided to do.  I decided to smile a lot more, and make of an effort to see whats going on it other people life's.  I realized that I have been so consumed with myself lately that I haven't really been paying attention to others, like I should be.
So yes, this whole week, I've been smiling at people, waving to people and talking to people. I've made friends with all the pooper scoopers, the taxi drivers, and hotel shuttle drivers, and even the grand hotel drivers.  In fact the other day I was coming in from the barn, and this man stopped me and asked me how my day went.  I replied with "great, how was your day?"  And he told me it was "alright" and started to walk away.  Then he turned around and said "  you know I'm really thankful for you.  You remind me so much of my daughter and every time I see you I think of her.  And just thank you so much for that, it truly means the world to me."I was speakless.  I was speakless because this was totally God.  Putting a smile on my face, and being friendly was what God wanted me to do, and I did it, and I just happened to be helping people i little ways.  It gave me goosebumps, and thats when I knew I have been in the right place this whole summer. Even though I don' like it here to much, I know this is where God wanted me, and he has made that very clear.
I go to talk to my friends from school the other day, and it was great.  I miss being in E3W, and having our little fights, and being sisters.  It was truly one of the best years of my life, and I grew so much last year.  I am so blessed to have the RA, diversity coordinator, RD, and all the rest of the girls I lived with.  My life is just that much greater now.
Last night I got to stay over at one of my new friends house. Its an awesome house, and it was such a good night.  We played my favorite game "Truth or Truth", and it was fantabulous!  I go to hear their hearts, and even some silly things, but it was great and truthfully what I needed.  God has blessed me with GREAT friends here on the island, friends I will never forget.
Well I'm going to go now, and enjoy this beautiful night.  Remember to keep smiling, because you never whose day you may make a little better.

2 comments:

  1. It is AWESOME that you're getting to share life with people and open up and just be your true self -- inside and out -- with people you trust. That's so great.

    You played Truth or Truth?!?!?! Anne and I are going to make so much food and entice you into our Lodge. Then we will Truth the Truthyness out of each other. Or just watch a movie. Whichevs. ;)

    I never got homesick when I left for college or for anything either. Until after my freshman year. Same deal. I guess it's the time when you start figuring things out and letter yourself get close to people and realize you're attached to certain people and places. It's more vulnerable, but it's more valuable too.

    I'M SO GLAD THE UNIT WAS A GOOD FIRST YEAR PLACE. Your words made my heart float around in my eyes. Very tickly experience.

    PS- if you remind that nice man of his daughter, you could probably milk some chocolate out of him if you keep being nice to him. JK. sketch.

    ReplyDelete